Two food items that everybody (most-people) loves - it's Bacon & Calzone... Mix them both together, and you've got yourself a mouth watering recipe that the whole family will devour in minutes! Read the recipe below:
- 8 Gills 21 Day Dry Cured Back Bacon rashers
- 500g Packet bread mix
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Tsp Dried oregano
- Half a can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Small red or orange pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 10 Pitted black olives, halved
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 175g (6oz) Mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
Make the bread mix following the packet instructions. Shape and roll the dough into 4, approx 20cm (8”), circles. Place on greased or lined baking sheets. Cover with cling film, leave in a warm, draft-free place and allow to rise for about 30 minutes (following the packet instructions).
1. While the dough is rising grill the bacon under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes until it is crisp and golden. Leave to one side.
2. Heat the oil in a small pan and lightly cook the onion until it begins to soften. Add the oregano and tomatoes, heat together and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened and reduced. Leave to one side.
3. Once the dough has risen, onto one half of each calzone place a quarter of the onion and tomato mixture, the peppers, olives and seasoning - then add 2 rashers of bacon and 2 slices cheese, fold over the dough and create a ‘pasty’ shape. Using your clean fingers, press the edges of the dough heavily to seal well.
4. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown top and bottom.
We hope you get stuck in and enjoy this recipe! Remember to share your creations with us on Facebook or Instagram - @GillsheritageThanks to Love Pork for the recipe. www.lovepork.co.uk